Creatine is a supplement or a chemical which is found in our body. It is not a steroid but is naturally found in muscle and in red meat(beef), and seafood(fish) With the help of creatine the water level of the body is increased which results in lifting heavy weights. It provides oxygen to the body cells through which the weight is lifted. But it requires plenty amount of water as it draws the body water level.
It is commonly used to improve exercise and daily performance and it also increases muscle mass.t is the combination of amino acids produced by the liver, kidney, and pancreas. An average human body contains between 3.5 and 4 grams of creatine per kilogram of muscle. The amount of creatine to be taken is 5 gm/150 pound person a day.However, it is capable of storing up to 5 grams per kilogram. One should drink 8-9 litres of water daily if using creatine to avoid dehydration.
Benefits of creatine
1. Athletic performance – A large body of research shows that oral creatine supplementation can make an athlete faster and stronger when performing high intensity activity. Research suggests that creatine provides some benefit in improving performance in high-intensity, short-duration activities such as weight lifting and sprinting. Creatine increases production of ATP(Adenosine triphosphate).
2. Increased muscle mass – Some studies have shown proven increase in lean muscle mass with creatine. It may do this because creatine in muscle attract water. Creatine usage causes an increase in the water content of muscles, making them larger, bigger and increase in the size of the muscle fibers. However, creatine can increase “real” fat free mass. As it holds body water level.
Effects of creatine
- When taken by mouth in high doses, creatine is unsafe. There is some concern that it could harm the kidney, liver, or heart function. Creatine causes muscles to draw water from the rest of your body. Be sure to drink extra water to make up for this. Also, if you are taking creatine, don’t exercise in the warm temperature or excessive heat. It might cause you to become dehydrated.
- When there is a large amount of androgenic hormones being absorbed into the body, male pattern hair loss progresses at a much faster rate. Therefore, creatine could cause hair loss by increasing DHT levels in the body.
- There is concern that creatine might cause irregular heartbeat in some people.
- It might cause a skin condition called pigmented purpuric dermatosis in some people.
Possible side effects of creatine :
- Stomach cramps
- Muscle cramping