Even if you know absolutely nothing about bodybuilding, chances are you know who Arnold Schwarzenegger is. The Austrian-born bodybuilder set records in the fitness world, becoming the youngest person to win the Mr. Universe title when he was 20. He racked up countless titles over the years, including four more Mr. Universe titles and seven coveted Mr. Olympiatitles. After an illustrious career in bodybuilding, Schwarzenegger (who had become a U.S. citizen after emigrating to the U.S. in 1968) started conquering another industry – Hollywood. He had roles in several movies, including Hercules, Stay Hungry (for which he won a Golden Globe), and Conan the Barbarian. The film that absolutely made his career, however, was Terminator. With three simple words – “I’ll be back” – Schwarzenegger cemented his place as a pop culture icon.
• Was a soldier in the Austrian Army, 1965-66.
• Came to America in 1968 and became a citizen in 1983.
• Was a millionaire before the age of 22 due to his business investments, which included real estate and a bodybuilding-equipment company.
• Won the title of Mr. Olympia seven times and Mr. Universe three times; also won Junior Mr. Europe and Mr. World.
• Screen acting debut was in 1970’s Hercules in New York (billed as Arnold Strong).
• Was a contestant on The Dating Game in 1972.
• Modeled for Andy Warhol.
• Although Republican, he married Democratic Kennedy clan member Maria Shriver in 1986.
• Became the 38th governor of California on November 17, 2003.
• 1995, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Nominee
• 1977, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year – Actor: Winner
1 “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
2 “What is the point of being on this Earth if you are going to be like everyone else?”
3 “Just like in bodybuilding, failure is also a necessary experience for growth in our own lives, for if we’re never tested to our limits, how will we know how strong we really are? How will we ever grow?”
4 “If you want to turn a vision into reality, you have to give 100% and never stop believing in your dream.”
5 “For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.”
6 “Help others and give something back. I guarantee you will discover that while public service improves the lives and the world around you, its greatest reward is the enrichment and new meaning it will bring your own life.”
7 “The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.”
8 “The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.”
9 “Positive thinking can be contagious. Being surrounded by winners helps you develop into a winner.”
10 “Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed.”